After a 13 year absence, the world’s largest fast-food chain is using an updated Hamburglar to hawk a new line of burgers.
While you won’t have to worry about the Hamburglar showing up in person at your home, how about an actual burglar?
Are you aware of what attracts a burglar to your home?
Today’s burglars are increasingly sophisticated and have two priorities:
- to get in and out of your home as quickly as possible
- and to avoid confrontation
What attracts a burglar to your home?
- A poorly maintained property indicates to a burglar that the homeowner might not care about proper security systems either. Old locks and shabby looking windows are like welcome mats to a burglar.
- Is your large flat screen TV visible from the street? Don’t tempt a burglar scoping out your property for valuable items. Windows in your garage? The make and model of your car can be enough to trigger the imagination of a burglar as to what else might be found inside your house.
- It can be very obvious to a burglar when the homeowners are away. No car in the driveway for days on end. The same lights on day and night make it obvious someone tried to make it look like someone is home. Use a timer instead. Better yet, use simple home automation and remotely turn on and off a few of your lights.
So what makes your home unattractive to a burglar?
- Signage advertising a monitored security system – Did you know that your chance of a break-in is reduced by 400% if you have a monitored security system with signage?
- Security cameras and video surveillance signs – No, burglars do not want to get caught on camera.
- Outside lighting – proper lighting, including motion lights, are among the biggest deterrents to a burglar.
- Dogs – make sure to post “Beware of Dog” signs. Barking dogs always mean trouble to a burglar.
- Gravel driveways are unattractive to burglars because they make noise and draw unwanted attention.
Burglaries are usually triggered by quick and easy opportunities. As soon as it appears to be too difficult to get in and too risky to get caught, a burglar will move on to an easier target.
So be aware of what is attractive to a burglar and take steps to stay safe.
If you don’t have a security system, if your security system is not monitored, or if you are not happy with your current security provider, call me for free, no-obligation consultation. You’ll be glad you did!
Ulli Robson, Security Specialist (780) 288-2986