Vacation Checklist: Sun, Fun, and Home Security
Fall is here in Alberta, and with its cool arrival there comes an urge to seek warmer climates.
To deal with this year's exceptionally frigid temperatures, you've booked a warm getaway.
As you prepare for your much-anticipated vacation, you go through your checklist.
- Sunscreen. Check
- Passport. Check
- Secure home. Um, check?
The unfortunate reality is that thieves don't take a vacation, even if you do. The last thing you want after your refreshing and relaxing vacation is to come home to a break & enter.
Below are some tips to help you secure and protect your home from potential burglars while you're away.
- Lock all doors and windows.
- Keep all valuables out of sight (e.g., in a safety deposit box stored elsewhere).
- If you have a safe, make sure it's bolted down, otherwise, a burglar might take the whole thing.
- Set timers so that lights come on at different intervals to make I look as if someone is at home.
- Ask family or friends to pick up your mail daily or stop your mail subscriptions temporarily.
- Get someone to clear your sidewalks and driveway if it snows while you're away.
- If needed, trim overgrown bushes and hedges in front of your house to reduce hiding places.
- Make sure your fence is in good repair and lock all gates
- Lock up your tools, ladders, garden shed, and garage. All are fair game to burglars.
- Chain down anything large and of value (e.g., bicycles, lawnmowers).
- Inexpensive external motion lighting works well (but angle it away from neighbour's windows).
- Don't advertise that your house will be empty for a period of time. Avoid making announcements on social media (e.g., Facebook) or your answering machine.
- Check with your insurance company that your home is covered while you're on vacation. Some companies require extra coverage for vacations longer than one month.
- Let your alarm monitoring station know that you'll be away and who they can contact instead.
- Arm your security system before you leave - it's a simple thing but people often forget.
Don't have a security system? Your system is not being monitored? It's not too later to get set up with a system that has all the necessary features to protect you, your loved ones, and your valuables.
If you want peace of mind whether you're at home or on vacation, call me for a free, no-obligation consultation. You'll be glad you did!
Ulli Robson, Security Specialist, 780-288-2986