Tips For a Safely Functioning Furnace
Hard to believe that the colder seasons are just around the corner. However, longer nights and decreasing temperatures are definitely signs that it’s time to get started on preparing our heating mechanisms and furnace for when they need to work the hardest.
Is your home heating system ready for fall?
Usually, a furnace chugs along with minimal maintenance, and many of us don’t give it a thought – until it breaks down on the coldest night of the year.
Did you know that autumn and fall are the busiest seasons for heating system companies? Don’t wait to book your seasonal maintenance call until it’s too late. Why don’t you set up that appointment with your heating professional now?
Meanwhile, there are a few things you can do yourself in order to avoid any nasty surprises and to keep your family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning or fires caused by furnace problems.
The professionals at ATCO Gas recommend the following:
Check three parts every month
- Filter: if dirty, change or clean it according to the owner’s manual
- Gas burners: check for a blue flame. Call a heating technician if you see a yellow flame
- Vents: look for rust, soot build-up and blockages. Call a heating technician if you see any
Run your furnace safely
- Never plu or cover vents designed to supply air for proper operation of your gas appliances
- Keep the area around your furnace clear
- Do not rub the furnace with the fan door removed
- Keep furnace panels and grills in place
- Do only the maintenance you are comfortable with. For anything else, call a certified heating professional
In addition to keeping you and your loved ones warm and safe, Direct Energy suggests that regular furnace maintenance can have several benefits, such as:
- diminishing dust, bacteria, and allergens
- reducing your heating bills
- ensuring the validity of your warranty
- helping your furnace last longer
So, do yourself a favour, set up a do-it-yourself routine for furnace maintenance. And book that appointment with a certified heating professional to get your heating system checked. You’ll appreciate a functioning furnace once this beautiful summer comes to an end.
If you don’t have a security system, if your security system is not monitored, or if you are not happy with your current security provider, call me for a free, no-obligation consultation. You’ll be glad your did!
Ulli Robson, Security Specialist, 780-288-2986