Spring break is just around the corner and is one of the most popular times for Canadians to travel.
Whether you are heading for the slopes or South for the beach, here are some safety tips to provide you with peace of mind while away from home.
- Install an Alarm System if you don’t already have one. Did you know that your chance of a break-in is reduced by 400% with a monitored security system? This statistic is real and recognized by the insurance industry. Ask your insurance broker how much of a discount you qualify for, usually 5 to 20%.
- Take advantage of Home Automation and put your house on a timer. This technology has certainly become much more affordable and is no longer just for the rich and famous! Program your lights to come on at different times to make it look as if someone is at home. Adjust your thermostat remotely so your home is nice and comfortable upon your arrival. Ask your security provider how to add home automation to your security system.
- Be Prepared. Government of Canada has some great travel advice on their website http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/spring-break, including the warning that your Canadian health insurance will not protect you when outside the country, and to make sure to check the expiry date on your password.
- Be Safe in the Sun. Remember that snow, just like water, increases the reflection of the sun’s dangerous rays. Be sure to protect yourself against sunburn. Apply sunscreen even on a cloudy day and wear sunglasses. Remember the shadow rule: If your shadow is shorter than you are, the sun’s rays are at their strongest and your risk to get sunburned at its greatest. Protect yourself!
- Be Careful on Social Media! Don’t announce that you will be away, meaning how long your house will be vacant. Burglars are always on the prowl, checking Facebook and Twitter for exactly that kind of information. Wait till after your holidays to post anything about your trip on-line.
Use your common sense and follow the safety tips above as you prepare for spring break.
If you don’t have a security system, if your security system is not monitored, or if you are not happy with your current security provider, call me for a free, no-obligation consultation. You’ll be glad you did!
Ulli Robson, Security Specialist, 780-288-2986